Car & Away is a peer-to-peer car sharing platform that helps people make smarter mobility choices. It offers car owners the opportunity to connect with an online, car-sharing community – helping people rent their unused vehicles to other road users and takes advantage of the huge vehicle pool available across the world.
It is estimated that there are currently one billion cars in the world but many of these vehicles are largely inactive for most of their lifecycle. More often than not, privately owned vehicles are left parked up and unused, which is hugely wasteful in terms of cost, resources and road space.
Car & Away was implemented at London Gatwick Airport to utilised these untapped resources – taking advanced of the huge amount of parked and unused cars of holiday-makers and other travellers.
“An online, car-sharing community that helps people rent their unused vehicles to other road users and take advantage of the huge vehicle pool available across the world.”
Vehicle owners are able to drop off their car next to the terminal, rent it out to other road users while on their journey and pick up their (fully valeted) vehicles from the terminal when they land.
The vehicle is fitted with a telematics device that is quick and easy to install, and capable of recording in-vehicle data that can be used to:
- alert the rental driver when their behaviour is unacceptable;
- give the rental driver a performance that will determine their suitability as a customer;
- alert the emergency services if the driver is involved in a crash;
- locate the vehicle if stolen; and
- insure the vehicle under the best policy available.
By engaging with an online car-sharing platform instead of parking their vehicles in long-stay car parks or engaging with more traditional rental organisations, both car-owners and renters can:
- reduce the number of idle vehicles on the road;
- satisfy their mobility needs without purchasing a vehicle;
- earn money by renting their unused vehicles;
- access a safe and convenient service capable of monitoring their vehicles for poor driving behaviour; and
- improve their awareness of safety and sustainability initiatives.
+44 (0) 1293 569 106