Brake is a registered charity campaigning for road safety and sustainable transport and helping victims of road crashes. We work to inspire, inform, engage and enable action for change to achieve Vision Zero.
We have head offices in the UK and New Zealand to enable us to span time zones and communicate and work globally, particularly digitally, through webinars, online tools, and other smart solutions. We also have domestic operations in those countries (we have been working in the UK for more than 20 years) and have contacts and connections around the globe, including in low- and middle-income countries, to inform our work and get action.
Our work is grassroots and partnership-oriented. We believe in working together to save lives and the planet and support the victims of crashes. We work with communities, corporations, other NGOs, enforcement agencies and government representatives.
Brake, as a leading NGO, has more than 20-years’ experience of calling for, and promoting, ‘occupational road risk management’ at organisational and government level in the UK and latterly also in Australasia. We maintain and partner with an ever-growing membership network of occupational road risk managers and practitioners. We disseminate best practice occupational road risk management techniques through webinars and online guidance, and celebrate these techniques with awards.
Our vision is a world where there are zero road deaths and injuries and people can get around in ways that are safe, sustainable, healthy and fair.
- To inspire, inform and encourage action by all people, including government, organisations and communities, in furtherance of our vision.
- To help relieve the suffering of people bereaved or seriously injured in road crashes.
- LIFE: We put humanitarian concerns above all else in our work.
- EXCELLENCE: We seek out evidence-based solutions to inform efforts to deliver the most effective solutions.
- TEAM: We understand the importance of governments in effecting change through policy, and the ability of corporations, organisations, communities and individuals to shape and drive this through campaigning and right-minded actions. Together we are stronger.
To find out about our global work please visit our global website.
To find out about our domestic work go to Brake in the UK and visit Brake in New Zealand
Brake is a member of the Global Alliance of NGOs for road safety and the United Nations Road Safety Collaboration.